Complete Tooling Design and Manufacturing tailored by Franklin Iron Works, Inc. located on our premises
We can offer input as to how you can improve castability, simplify machining and reduce total net cost. The earlier you get FIW's team involved, the smoother the process will be in order to get the job into full production. All of the CAD file formats listed below may be emailed to our pattern shop as needed.
In a perfect world, the following information initially would be helpful in expediting your castings. Just as we have a responsibility in providing you good castings, you, the customer, also have a responsibility since they are your castings designed to your specifications. In the absence of information, we will refer to what we believe to be common industry standards.
- A model or drawing to the current revision level. In absence of the aforementioned, reverse engineering a casting may be an alternative.
- Casting number and/or part number along with where on the casting the part number, foundry ID and heat date should appear.
- Revision date and/or revision level.
- If the part is being revised, then a detailed notation specifying the exact change needed.
- Material the casting is to be made of.
- Heat treat specification, if any.
- Rough casting weight.
- Annual volume and anticipated order quantity.
- Areas to be machined and the amount of machine stock required.
- Datums and fixturing locations for machining.
- Desired parting line and draft angles.
- Tolerance of angles, radii and dimensions.
- Location on casting to verify hardness.
- Special notes and critical characteristics.
Patterns are produced utilizing both CNC machining processes and more traditional methods.
Testing and Inspection Requirements
An itemized list of testing and inspection requirements you require on samples and on production lots will also be needed. The following are available, however, as the requirements increase, so does the cost.
- Visual Inspection
- Dimensional Layout
- Chemical Certification
- Physical Certification
- Metallographic Analysis
- Letter of Compliance
- Part Retention
Finite Solutions Solidification Analysis
- Solid Cast
- Opti Cast